Saturday, July 28, 2012

How to Draw Your Own Dresden Wedge

Hey everyone!

I had a request for the pattern I used for the lion quilt (inspired by this one using the Single Girl template), so I am going to share with you how I made it. First of all what we're dealing with is basically a big ol' dresden circle. I didn't have a dresden ruler/template thingy, so I drew my own. You will end up with a (roughly) 24" circle. Here's how you do that:

1. Using a ruler, draw a 1.5" line on a piece of thick paper or cardboard (I used notebook paper just to show you).

2. From the exact center of your first line use a ruler to draw a perpendicular 9" line. So now you should have something that looks like an upside down T.


3. Now you're going to draw a 4 3/8" line, centering it on top of your second line. (FYI- half of 4 3/8" is 2 3/16").

4. Connect your top line to your bottom line and cut it out. You have a dresden wedge!

The down side to this is that you have to create a new wedge anytime you want a different sized dresden, but it is easily adjusted by making the 9" line however long you want it to be.

I pieced the dresdens so that I ended up with two halves.

For the lion's face, I drew out two half circles with the diameter of the dresden hole and sewed them curve to curve to each half, clipping the curves and ironing them. Then I sewed the halves together. And lastly I appliqued the eyes, cheeks, nose, and mouth before appliqueing the whole dresden onto my background fabric.



Feel free to leave a comment if you have a question!

PS- My friend Sae is giving away a custom designed logo for your blog or business! Check it out here.

3 comments:

Desiree said...

Thank you for posting this! I look forward to making it!

Quilteuse Forever said...

This is so nice! I am currently writing a post about Dresden Plates and I will link to your Lion!
AmitiƩs from France,
Katell

Helena Davey said...

That is adorable!! Have to make this for our next baby :)

www.mamanaturebaby.blogspot.com