Thursday, October 27, 2011

A baby! How thoughtful!

"Mmmyes, yes. I saw it and thought of you."

We haven't had much going on. I've just been sitting around, growing a person. Adam has decided to start the terrible part of the two's early.

This morning I had my first prenatal appointment which included our first ultrasound! We were very excited about it and Tom's captain even let him off the ship so he could be there. And boy, I am so glad he was! Adam was relentless- even with a baggie full of apple slices and a Pixar movie playing on my laptop. Despite the whining, we got to see Dos Equis ("xx" since I'm hoping it's a girl) doing some serious dancing. I am not sure why both of our children seem to be so rhythmically inclined because Tom and I barely shuffled out the first dance at our wedding.

Anyway, here's a picture of the inside of my uterus Vera/Sam:


It felt good to finally get to "meet" her. A lot of the time I don't feel pregnant emotionally (if that makes sense?), although I'm sure Tom would say that I have been quite emotionally pregnant. It made it "real". When the picture first came up on the screen and Equis was doing summersaults my first thought was "Holy crap! There's a baby in me!" Of course that's a happy "crap"; similar to when Tom asked me to marry him and my reply was "Are you crapping me!?" (my mom loves that story). Adam pointed at the screen and said, "Baby!" which was his solitary moment of cuteness for the whole appointment.

And finally, I must confess my relief at the absolute void of a second baby. I have had a couple very real dreams where I was carrying twins (which does not run in my family) and let's just say, it's not for me. So, yay for that!

PS- here's a pic of Adam from our recent visit to Balboa. Sometimes he can be such a little heart-wrenching scamp.


4 comments:

erin said...

Awe, I love seeing this! I can't wait to see your baby belly when you come this way! I'm beyond thrilled that you are going to be in Annapolis, yay!

quiltzyx said...

Happy Baby! :D

Lizbeth Brown said...

Thanks Erin and Sue!

Michelle M. said...

Congratulations Liz, I hope you are starting to feel better. I love the name Vera for a possible girl...Evelyn's middle name was Vera for the first 12hrs of her life :)