Thursday, June 9, 2011

Finished Baby Quilt!

This morning while watching Toy Story 3 (again) with Adam I finished stitching up the binding on this baby girl quilt. I really love the pattern; I don't think it looks as ridiculously easy as it is. Which is totally up my alley. So basically, there is no logical explanation for why I quilt, something that typically takes time and patience.

top

bottom

The pattern I found on Needyl; she tells you how much fabric of each color you'll need and even includes a downloadable excel doc. which shows you the layout. I printed it out and colored in my fabrics on it so I wouldn't get confused. It was a great help! I used Kona snow as well as Amy Butler Soul Blossoms, Ikea "Cecilia", Valori Wells' "Nest" and the green is called "bubblegum basics", I'm not sure by whom. The binding is red "Chicken Wire", again, I'm not sure what company.

I'm thinking about making it with lots of values of one color, specifically purple. It's my least favorite color and I think it would be a nice challenge. Maybe I'll even like it at the end? I've already picked out some fabrics for that including the plum unicorn print from Heather Ross' Far Far Away line (eeep!).

Lastly, I've been turning this idea over in my head for a while now and I want to know what you think. Would you be interested in short videos explaining how to make simple floral arrangements? I haven't been doing as much floral design as I should to keep from getting rusty and I thought it might be fun if I posted how-to's. Most arrangements are so simple in construction you wouldn't believe it. Maybe I could do one a week or something. Here's what I'm thinking about covering:

A Dozen vased Roses: a quick and easy way to arrange one dozen roses in a vase, will save you about $50-100 around Valentine's Day!
Baby arrangement: using soft colors, baby blooms, and a few trinkets for baby and mom, this will be a small arrangement to brighten any new mother's room
Simple Bridal bouquet: with adaptations for bridesmaids' bouquets, I'll show you how to put together a classic round bridal bouquet
Birthday bouquet: a medium sized arrangement in a glass vase with bright, festive colors
Hostess arrangement: Because hostess gifts aren't a thing of the past! This will set you back about $15.
Modern Cube vase arrangement: I love these low cube arrangements, and they're a lot easier to do than you'd think!
Farmer's Market bunch: Get a hand-picked, fresh-from-the-field feel with blooms from your local farmer's market

See, I'm credible!

Anyway, I thought it might be fun (and give me an excuse to buy lots of flowers! What are your thoughts? Anything you'd be interested in learning I haven't mentioned?

3 comments:

erin said...

Such a pretty quilt and flower arrangement. You are the quilting machine. Do you like it more than sewing clothes?

erin said...

oh, and i would love to see how you arrange bouquets florist style. :-)

Lizbeth Brown said...

haha, thanks Erin! Quilts are more gratifying in the end, but take much more time. I feel like I make better quilts than I do clothes, probably because I take a lot of short cuts when I'm sewing clothes, haha.