Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lap Quilt

So, kind of as a side project (I do a lot of those), I used the extra squares from the full-size Nicey Jane quilt to make myself a little lap quilt. I love it. And since I'm always complaining about being cold, yes, even in San Diego in May, Tom doesn't hate it, either.

Here it is after I'd finished quilting it. Basically I stitched in the ditch and then also in the middle of each zig zag.

This persimmony hue of red is one of my favorite colors. Its in the dark parts of the pink flowers so I used it for the backing. Yum. For some reason the photo is unreasonably bright. Ignore that.

And here it is all bound, washed and finished! Wrinkly goodness. I used a bamboo/cotton blend fusible batting. It made the quilting part SO much easier. I didn't have to pin or baste at all. It's called Fusi-Boo by Fairfield. All that's to say you should give it a try.

If you come over I'll let you use it.

Now I'm just waiting on the batting for the BIG Nicey Jane quilt to come in the mail. Updates on that are forthcoming.

3 comments:

Sae said...

Liz! That's so pretty! You are like a quilter now. I would totally use it, too, if I could come over. I have a quilt my Grammy made me when I was little on our couch. I have this weird thing about being more comfortable with a blanket on; I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Kristin said...

Where do you order your batting from? I've always used Warm & White and pin to baste, but would love to try Fusi-Boo!

Lizzie Brown said...

I got it from JoAnns. To be honest, I'm not sure I would buy it again. It was great and definitely made the quilting process easier, but it was almost twice as expensive as other batting (like Warm & White or Warm & Natural). So I think next time I'll just get one of those and buy a can of spray batting fuser, whatever it's called.