Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How to sew a pinwheel quilt square

After I finished Adam's quilt, I began thinking what my next quilting venture might be. His was basically just squares sewn together and cut in half. I got to thinking, why couldn't a pinwheel easier? So I experimented and what I came up with is a ridiculously easy way to create a pinwheel square.

You'll need a buttload of 6" squares (or whatever size you want them to be), half in a pattern and half in a solid color fabric.

With right sides together, sew a solid square to a pattern square all the way around with a 1/4" seam.


Fold it in half, diagonally, and cut along the fold. Then fold it in half again (so it would be a quarter sized- triangle of your original square), and cut along that fold. You will end up with...


Four right triangles with the seam on the hypotenuse. Yeah, I'm working math into this baby. You're learning and you don't even know it.


Press them open with the seam being pressed toward the darker fabric (in this case, the flower half).


Arrange them in a pinwheel design, just so you don't get mixed up.


Take the left top and bottom squares and sew them together with right sides together (1/4" seam still). Do the same with the right top and bottom squares.


Now you have two rectangles. Sew them right sides together, making sure the points all come together in the center. It is helpful to have one of the horizontal seams going one way, and on the reverse side, make the seam go the opposite direction. You can kind of see what I mean in the picture below.


Now you have your pinwheel square! Press that last seam to one side.


Repeat as many times as you want to make your quilt the desired size.


Let me know if I can make this any more clear or if you have any questions. Also don't forget to let me know how yours turned out!

4 comments:

erin said...

Can't wait to get my sewing machine back and try my hand at quilting!

Elena said...

How great! I love that this tute gives you 4 from one set of squares, instead of just 2.

How do you know what size HSTs you're ending up with? Like how does the math work on this one?

Thanks! :)

Lizzie Brown said...

The finished pinwheel is 5 1/2", if you're using a 1/4" seam. Each half square triangle is 3"x3", since it's a quarter of a 6" square. So, sewn, I suppose each individual hst is 2 1/2". Does that help?

Sunni @Love Affair with my Brother said...

I've never seen pinwheels done this way. I might actually try it now!!