Friday, May 20, 2011

Hello, Rose!

I love dresses. It's a one piece outfit. Every once in a while I get the itch for a fresh one. Despite the fact that I have plenty of suitable dresses in my closet, the consumerist American in me wanted a "new" one. The creative, do-it-yourselfer in me said, "MAKE IT!"

So I did. Honestly, though, it's not that simple because I am quite persnickety when it comes to dresses. I will wear any jeans that fit, and most shirts regardless of color or print but when it comes to dresses I have a higher standard. The colors and pattern must be just so.

This is what I ended up making:

I used Nicey Jane (you should know me well enough by now to have guessed that) Hello Roses and Welcome Road. It's New Look pattern 6776. It's beautiful and I love it. I'm going to wear it on my birthday in about a week.

Ever since I was a little girl, my mother will tell you, I've loved "woses." This fabric spoke to me on a fundamental level. It spoke to Lizzie, the five year old who wore frilly Barbie socks, spoke with a thick Boston acccent, and wore her hair in "pinktails." It just worked out that it's also age appropriate for a 23 year old SoCal mommy who regularly wears the same pair of jeans three or four days (applesauce crusty spots and all) before laundering them. And it's beautiful, washable cotton. My love affair with natural fibers will never end.

I'm entering it in the Lovely Summer Dress Challenge and I'm definitely excited about seeing what loveliness other ladies create!





5 comments:

Paisley and Lace said...

LOVE your dress! Great fabric and pattern. I'm so glad you are joining in on the fun!

Beth said...

Fabulous frock!Super colours, and super figure (sorry if that is too personal!)
Love, mammafairy

Lizzie Brown said...

Thank you both!

@ Beth- not at all; after having a baby there is no nicer compliment!

JuneBug said...

Absolutely Gorgeous dress.

Lise said...

How beautiful!!