Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dresden Circle Baby Play Mat

I found a dresden circle quilt along at Lily's Quilts and since it's a pattern I've been wanting to try, I slapped one together this week.

Lily's Quilts QAL

It was pretty easy to do. You can check out her posts for full directions, but I'll go over a few things that I did.

Using her template, I cut out the wedges and then sewed them together.


Then I ironed the seams open.


Now, instead of using her templates to piece together a border I cut out a big square of white Kona and appliqued the circle onto it.


Then I made my quilt sandwich (I used Robert Kaufman's Carnaby Street on the back) and pinned it together. I chose to do two thicknesses of batting since I wanted it to be cushy enough for a baby to roll over and play on.


I quilted around the circle, in the middle of the circle, in between each wedge, and around the edge of the square.


Instead of doing a normal binding, I borrowed an idea from June at JuneBug's World and went all crazy with a decorative stitch.



Lastly, I embroidered some shapes into the corners, you know, for educational purposes, and the baby's name (which I covered; this is a surprise) in the middle and ran it through the wash.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out, but next time I'm going to use the border templates as I'm not that great at applique. It was a quick and easy baby gift, and very fun to finally quilt a circle!

3 comments:

erin said...

You have become the quilting queen. I wish you were here when I try mine. I could use some good tips!

Lizzie Brown said...

What are you going to do? I don't really have any tips. I'm just a newb.

JuneBug said...

Obviously I'm laaate to comment, but I LOVE the decorative stitch you used, and the mat looks beautiful!