Monday, March 21, 2011

Toddler Products We Love

A long time ago I did a post on Baby Products that Tom and I love. They made our life easier and more fun. They made Adam happy and so we were happy, too. I would also like to add to that list our stroller, a Baby Jogger City Mini (It's just plain AMAZING. I get jealous stares from Moms in parking lots all the time when I fold it up and throw it in my trunk with one hand.), which we've had him in since he was six months old.

BUT those days are gone and now that Adam is solidly in his toddling years at fourteen months old, we have a whole new set of gear that gets us through each day (except for the stroller- we're still loving it!). Here are some of our favorites:

Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL Convertible Car Seat

We do a lot of air travel with Adam going to grandparents' houses and whatnot. We figured a car seat that was easy to use in a plane would be a smart investment. It folds basically flat and fits easily into the seat on a plane. Another huge perk with this seat is that it's narrow so it's great if you drive a sedan or a smaller wagon like we do. Adam used to fight with me when I tried to put him in his old convertible car seat, but now he climbs right up into it. I think it's more shallow (less like a bowl he's stuck in) and allows him to sit upright, more forward and have a better view out the window. I can totally see why he would like that. Plus, it comes it red!

Baby Jogger Child Tray & Parent Console

Snacks in a tray and a water bottle for me makes us able to take longer trips out of the house. Lunch on the go? No problem. A simple solution, I know, and I probably should have thought of it a lot sooner.

Antilop High Chair from Ikea

We used to use a Peg Perego Prima Pappa Diner high chair, but I got sick of wiping out all the little crevices and cracks in the plastic arm rests. I read about the Boon hydraulic chair, but we didn't necessarily want to spend $300 on it. So we did what we normally do when we're looking for a home good- we went to Ikea. We found this chair, which is a single piece of molded plastic (easy to wipe off), that is just the right height to be scooted up to the table. It's inspired us to eat dinner as a family at the table every night since we got it. And who can put a price tag on that? Oh wait, Ikea can. It's $19.99.

Dog by Matthew Van Fleet

Adam loves dogs so it makes sense that this is his favorite book. I mean he loves every book, but especially this one. They also have a Cats version.

Tommee Tippee Straw Cups

Best cups everrrr! Adam never really got the hang of the whole tipping the cup up to receive the liquid into your mouth notion (Except for when he has cups in the tub, THEN he has no problem with it. Yes. He drinks bath water. Go figure.), so I searched for a cup with a straw. Apparently quite a few are rather hard to manipulate. You have to bite them a certain way in order to create suction? The ones that don't have that mechanism, however, leak everywhere. So I turned back to my ever faithful Tommee Tippee at Babies R Us. What did they have? A straw cup you don't have to bite and doesn't leak. Since we've been using them I've read several reviews that rate these cups the "Best" sippy cup. Some people seem to have trouble with assembling them (there are three pieces to the lid), but if you read the instructions it's really quite simple; you won't have any leaks and drinking should be very easy for your baby.

Lattsam baby toilet from Ikea (How do you add an umlaut, anyway?)

This is kind of a long story, but Adam is beginning to use the toilet. Usually he goes outside, but I'm trying to gentrify him a little and teach him what a potty is for. This one is $4.99. You know what I call that? A risk-free investment, that's what. He even pooped in it the other day! Sorry to all my relatives who received text messages containing a certain picture of subject matter which may not have been palatable. I was excited.

French Fries and Frozen Sausages

Okay, so not exactly "gear", but I cannot tell you how many times these two foods have saved my sanity. Scenario A: We are out and about. Adam refused to eat a decent sized lunch. He is hangry and I am tired. I pull into any drive thru and order FRENCH FRIES! Everybody is happy. The end.
Scenario B: I oversleep. Adam is angry at me for oversleeping/ignoring him calling my name for an extra half hour of laying in my bed awake but with my eyes closed. He is hungry. Everything takes too long to prepare except for FROZEN SAUSAGES! Microwave for 45 seconds. Snip up with kitchen shears and mix with Cheerios. Adam is happy. The End.

Now that I'm thinking about it, times of frustration in our house usually coincide with hunger. Hmm...

See? Loves dogs.

What gear do you love or have heard good things about?

7 comments:

An Army Family said...

Um considering that you get borderline violent when you're hungry, that's not super surprising. Apple, falling from tree, etc.

:D

Lizzie Brown said...

I think "violent" is a little strong. Tom, however, laughed when I read him what you wrote.

JuneBug said...

Ah Ikea. What a wonderful place. My mother in law calls it the swedish walmart. which i think is alittle mean, but a little true.

no gear to speak of here, but this is what happens when you have a second... the second gets to play with things way earlier than the first did... and Mira (#2) is loving playing with playdoh and homemade Gak (look up the recipe, it's easy). A good hour can be played at the dining table quitely. It is amazing.

Lizzie Brown said...

Oooh! I used to love Gak! We didn't make our own, but that sounds like fun. I'll have to log that idea away to take out when Adam gets closer to two. Tom told me they used to make play dough out of peanut butter and after they'd play with it they'd eat it! I ought to look for that recipe, too.

OCF said...

Hey Liz, Thanks for the Tommee Tippee straw cup idea! I have been looking for a straw that you don't have to bite!!!

OCF said...

I am not sure why I am listed as OCF??? Anyway, this is Danielle:)

Lizzie Brown said...

Hey Danielle! I hope you like them as much as we do!