Monday, January 24, 2011

Amateur photo restoration

(original)
(edited)

This is the only picture my mom has of her dad walking her down the aisle. In real life it's blurrier and the colors are that kodachrome yellow typical to the 70s. Now, I'm definitely not a photographer by any means. I love my camera and I blame the good shots I get on my subjects more than my skill. If you're like me and don't have a $1000 camera or that "eye" for the perfect shot and you haven't found picnik.com, you need to get your bum over there.

First I took a photo of the photo with natural lighting in the middle of the day. The original "print" is a slide and I figured out a handy way to take work in that situation. Open up Word, or a word processor on your computer and tape the slide to the computer screen. It should be well lit from behind with the white background. Then zoom in just enough to crop out the slide frame and take your picture. Let me know if this works for you.

I spent a few minutes of fiddling with the levels and the "HDR" effect, threw in a dash of "fancy focus", and even my parents through it looked better!

I'm thinking about taking the slide to a professional and seeing what they can do.

Any of your ideas on restoring old photos?

3 comments:

erin said...

taking the slide in will definitely give you a better print to work with, but there is only so much you can do with a blurry pic. You can sharpen it more in photoshop. Looks good Liz!

Lizzie Brown said...

Thanks Erin! I took it into Ritz today and they're restoring the colors and seeing what else they can do to clear it up. I'll update when I get it back!

Sarah said...

You could always download a free trial of Aperture or Lightroom. They are intense photo-editing programs that I've tried in the past and were able to work wonders on blurry stuff.

I'll be interested to see how it turns out after being at Ritz!