Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bandana Hand Towel

I was just talking with my sister-in-law about decorating for different holidays and I realized I don't really do much except for Christmas with the tree. Luckily, a hand or dish towel is ridiculously easy to sew and allows me to "seasonalize" my kitchen a bit (so my house doesn't look so higgledy-piggledy).

Sidenote, and this is really exciting, I'm going to run to Trader Joe's this weekend and pick up the most vibrant apples I can find and share her applesauce recipe with you, so get ready!

This is probably going to take you all of 15 minutes. I just made one and I'm so glad I bought more than one bandana. A couple to give away, and one to keep!

What you'll need:
1 bandana (I got mine at Wal Mart for $1)
3/4 terri cloth fabric (found some in the sale corner at JoAnn's for $2/yard)
sewing machine
scissors
thread (costs about $2.50 for a spool if you don't already have some)

Total cost: $1.50 ish (I already had the color thread I wanted)

Lay your bandana over the terri cloth fabric, matching it up at one corner, right sides together. Cut out the terri cloth around your bandana so you have two squares of the same size.


Sew all the way around the square, leaving a 3-4" gap at the very last. I used a 5/8" seam. Everything should be inside out at this point.



Using the 3" hole, turn the whole thing right side out and slip stitch (learn how here) the opening closed.


Iron it. Sew close to the edge all the way around one more time to create nice, flat edges.


If you want you could add rick rack or ribbon on the towel side, but I chose to leave mine plain.


This makes a BIG dish/hand towel; enjoy it! Any questions, feel free to get in touch with me.

I'd like to make a fall-ish wreath for our front door, too. I'll be sure to share it if I do! Any ideas?

What do you do to get ready for autumn?

2 comments:

Sae said...

I really seriously want to do this. The thing is, I have this sewing machine Stephen's mom let me have/borrow, and I've never used it. And I don't even know if I'm going to know what to do. lol. I guess I just need to try it out to see!

Lizzie Brown said...

You could hand sew it; it would take more time but it's definitely do-able.