Monday, July 12, 2010

Pizza!

My family is crazy about pizza and, luckily, I married a guy who loves it as much as we do. When I was a kid my family had this pizza eating contest where we saw who could eat pizza for breakfast lunch and dinner for the most days. I think my sister won, but I ate pizza solid for at least two weeks. Which kind of grosses me out a little bit now, but in a "Oh my gosh I wish I could still do that" kind of way. The same kind of way I wish I could still ride The Scrambler at theme parks and not feel like I was going to spew chunks and pass out. In that order. Probably face down in my own vomit, ruining my glitter Superman logo tee. BACK TO PIZZA!

To combat pizza boredom during our family's contest my Mom made a boatload of dough which we topped in every way imaginable. We had a heater room downstairs where she would hang clothes to dry and it was perfect for raising dough. I'm pretty sure she got this recipe off the side of King Arthur flour but it makes such a crispy and chewy dough I'll let it slide this time.

This makes two large pizzas. Here's what you'll need!

1 1/2 C warm water
2 packets (or 1 T + 1 1/2 t) yeast
3 T sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 C white flour
2 1/2 C wheat flour
drizzle of olive oil

Add yeast and sugar to water in your mixing bowl. I use my KitchenAide with the dough hook attachment. Mix it up a little bit and let it sit for a couple minutes until it gets foamy. You can do this just as well in a bowl with a spoon.

Add the salt, oil, and flour while mixing until you get a soft dough. At this point you can keep using the dough hook or you can knead it with your hands for a few minutes until the dough is really pliable.

Then toss it in a bowl, cover it up, and let it sit in a dry place and think about what's it done for 15-20 minutes. Afterward it should look significantly risen, like Jesus, but in a yeastier, more bready way.
At this point in the recipe my mom wrote, "Split dough in half, freeze other half for another day." She's so genteel. I say, rip the dough in half, or you can cut it if you're more civilized than me and, if you don't want to make two pizzas, plop it in a freezer baggie and freeze that suckah.

Roll it out, put it on a *greased* pan and pile on your toppings. I like to start off with a little olive oil, then sauce topped with some Italian herbs; don't ask me what they are, I don't know. They come in a little grinder from the herb section in the grocery store. Then I add a ridiculous amount of cheese. For this pizza I used Parmesan, Asiago, Mozzarella and Tom grated some Gruyere (left over from Independence day burgers) on top. He's so fancy. If you're going to do pepperoni I seriously recommend getting some from the deli; Boar's Head is fabulous, it turns out with a slight crunch and it really doesn't cost more than packaged pepperoni soaked with preservatives, but you know, your choice.

One last thing I would recommend is to melt some butter and mix in some garlic powder to brush on the crust. Healthy? Psh. No. But sooo tasty. Bake it at 400 F for 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven.
When all is said and done this costs about $5 and that's pretty much because I used a whole bag of shredded cheese. I'd like to see Little Caesar's beat that. I mean look at it. Now, go make one (or two)!

1 comment:

erin said...

garlic on the crust... perfection! looks awesome. i am quite the pizza fan myself. when asked what I want for my birthday dinner, my answer always when I was little: pizza.