Thursday, May 20, 2010

Some Things to Remember

Last night as I lay in bed waiting for sleep to hit me I began to think. In case you don't know this already, thinking is always a bad idea at bedtime. Lefou was right, it is a dangerous pastime.


I thought about the dishes in the sink (even though I'd just cleaned the kitchen and there were only a few in there that I couldn't fit in the dishwasher).
I thought about the pile of laundry in our room that needs to be folded and put away, and the laundry that has accumulated since I last washed.
I thought about the bathtub that is growing a fine film of soap scum.
I thought about the dining room chairs I bought fabric to recover.
I thought about the patio furniture I want to paint.
I thought about decluttering the coffee table, swiffering and vacuuming all the floors, putting the pantry food sitting on the dining table actually into the pantry, and making the guest bed.

AND THEN-

I thought about how my house used to be clean all the time.
I thought about the time I had to sew, bake for fun, and do house projects for my own leisure.
I thought about when I could plan out elaborate, tasty meals, just to surprise Tom with something a little bit extra special.
I thought about how I used to be able to wear a bikini without kids asking, "Mommy, why does that lady have stripes on her belly?" (This has never happened, perhaps because I won't wear bikinis in public, but in my illegitimate fears, it does.)

Of course I kept my husband up telling him all this because that's part of his job, listening to my insane late-night ramblings. And he (essentially) said, "You are a wonderful woman. You are beautiful, smart, witty, funny, and a little crazy." (I said, "essentially.") "You are a wonderful mom and Adam loves you so much. I love you more than I could ever say." (That's pretty much verbatim *blush*.)

Which calmed me down enough to fall asleep. But when I woke up this morning and walked around our quiet house I was reminded of all the things I worried over last night. And then I
saw my note.

Tom wrote me a note a couple weeks ago with Proverbs 31:28, 29

"Her children arise and call her blessed;
Her husband also, and he praises her:
'Many women do noble things,
But you surpass them all.'"

I remembered him, and how he, an excellent man, loves me and suddenly the dishes and the laundry were forgotten. Then I saw some of Adam's baby pictures and how our little guy has grown so happily and healthily:


and the stretch marks and lack of free time weren't so important anymore. I put my feet up on the couch and spent a couple quiet hours thinking about my wonderful family, that has grown on a strong Foundation.

Thank God for the Foundation.

Thank God for tankinis.

No comments: