Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"When you soar like an eagle, you attract the hunters."

Sure I could have chosen a meaner bird, a bigger bird, or a more handsome bird, but I didn't. I chose the bald eagle as more of a reminder for T and myself.

The world loves to tear down those who are soaring like eagles; those who take the good (but not necessarily the high) road instead of weaseling around. Our culture identifies people with what they have accomplished, how much money they have earned, and what they have screwed up. When Bug has flown out of the nest we will have raised him in, will he have been inspired by our example to soar virtuously? Or will he have seen that it is easier and more profitable (and therefore better) to build vain legacies, hoard wealth, and destroy and neglect relationships?

To Bug I would say that I am sorry we have to bring him into such a crazy world. But we promise to give him the tools he needs to navigate the polluted herds with the knowledge that while he is one of them, he can hold himself to a more honorable code and really fly.

1 comment:

erin w. said...

Liz, your hilarious! I just caught up on your blog. Reading from the beginning of your nursery painting adventure. I love your description of Adam coming out of the womb! I can't wait to see you all in sunny SD.