Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"There's naught, no doubt, so much calms the spirit as rum and true religion." Lord Byron


When I asked T what he wanted for his birthday goodie, he said Rum Cake. He probably meant the bundt-shaped alcohol-saturated cake which not only preserves itself for months, but acts as the newest scent of Febreze: Dimly Lit Caribbean Lounge.

Since there are just two of us (and Molly), I decided to make cupcakes so T can take them to his ship and pass out the leftovers to his favorite people. Leaving me with only the mixing bowl to lick, and the happy thought that only comes from averting the caloric intake of two dozen cupcakes eaten out of boredom.

So after searching online for a good recipe I came across one that would serve as a good foundation, and went from there. 

They are so choice.

Here is the recipe I made:

Rum Cupcakes
3/4 C Dark Rum (I used Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum)
1 pkg. cake mix with pudding (You can use whatever base flavor you want the cupcakes to be, I chose Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow)
1 C sour cream
1/2 C water
1/2 C vegetable oil
3 large eggs

Preheat your oven to 350F and line two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake foils.
Combine all ingredients in mixer except rum & mix until well blended.
Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed.
Add rum and mix well.
Pour into lined cups, each about 3/4 full.
Bake 18-24 minutes, or until the cupcake tops are springy to the touch.
Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to cool completely on wire racks.

Chocolate Rum Frosting
1 stick butter or magarine
2/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
2 T dark rum
3 C sifted confectioners' sugar
1/4 C milk

Blend butter & cocoa in mixing bowl until soft.
Add rum, sugar & milk and beat on a Medium setting until fluffy.
Add more rum if the frosting is too thick, or more sugar if it's too thin.
Frost cupcakes when cool.

1 comment:

Sae said...

Lizzie, I can't wait to see what cool creations you post on here. I LOVE yer lil cupcakes! And I love the new title of the blog. You're pretty much da bam. I'm so glad you came to visit! I had a wonderful time just getting to be around you. :]